Korai, 2A, Chios Island, 1st floor
+30 22710 35 253
+30 22710 35 299
Dr. Helen A. Thanopoulou is Professor in Operations Management of Shipping Companies at the Department of Shipping, Trade and Transport of the University of the Aegean where she has served - from September 2014 to August 2016 - as Head of the Department. She studied Economics (University of Athens) and Development Economics (D.E.A, University of Paris I, Panthéon- Sorbonne) and holds a Doctorate in Maritime Studies from the University of Piraeus where she taught briefly. Next, she spent more than 8 years in Wales, as Lecturer and Senior Lecturer at Cardiff University serving as Director of shipping related postgraduate courses also. She returned to Greece to a new post in the Department of Shipping, Trade and Transport on Chios Island. She has published on maritime crises, shipping competitiveness and investment patterns, UK shipping policy, liner alliances and ports, quality shipping, maritime innovation etc. Prof. Thanopoulou has served as Council member of the International Association of Maritime Economists (IAME), as Guest Editor and member of Editorial Boards, and as reviewer for a substantial number of international academic journals, teaching also at undergraduate and post-graduate courses at universities in Europe and Asia and has acted as evaluator of postgraduate courses as well.
- Operations Management of Shipping Companies
- Shipping Economics
- Maritime History
- Introduction to Maritime Studies
- Greek and International Shipping. 1994. Athens: Papazissis.
- The present and the future of Greek shipping. 2010. (With G.Harlaftis and J.Theotokas), Study number 10. Athens: Academy of Athens (in Greek).
Shipping markets, quality shipping, liner shipping companies strategy, shipping investment strategy, maritime policy, maritime innovation.
- Alizadeh, A. H., Strandenes, S. P., and Thanopoulou, H. 2016. Capacity retirement in the dry bulk market: A vessel based logit model. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, doi:10.1016/j.tre.2016.03.005.
- Thanopoulou, H., and Strandenes, S. P. 2015. Turning down the volume? Prospects of structural changes in international energy seaborne trade. Research in Transportation Business & Management, 17, 8-13.
- Thanopoulou, H. 2012. H. Bulk reefer market economics in a product life cycle perspective. Maritime Policy and Management 39, 281-296.
- Gratsos, G., Thanopoulou H. and Veenstra A. 2012. Dry Bulk Shipping, στο Talley, W. ed. Maritime Economics - A Blackwell Companion. Oxford: Wiley Blackwell, σ.187-204.
- Investing in Twenty-First Century Shipping: An Essay on Perennial Constraints, Risks and Great Expectations. Κεφάλαιο 23 στο Grammenos, C. ed. 2010. The Handbook of Maritime Economics and Business. 2nd edition. London: Lloyd’s of London Press. σ.659-682.
- Lirn, T.C, Thanopoulou, H.A, Beynon, M.J and Beresford, A.K.C. 2004. An Application of AHP on Transhipment Port Selection: A Global Perspective. Maritime Economics & Logistics 6, 70-91.
- Tamvakis, M.N and Thanopoulou, H.A. 2000. Does quality pay? The case of the dry bulk market. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review 36, σ.297-307.
- Ryoo, D.K and Thanopoulou, H.A. 1999. Liner Alliances in the Globalisation Era: A strategic tool for Asian Container carriers. Maritime Policy and Management 24, 349-367.
- Thanopoulou, H.A. 1998. What price the flag? The terms of competitiveness in shipping. Marine Policy 22, σ. 359-374.
- Thanopoulou, H.A. 1995. The growth of fleets registered in the Newly-Emerging maritime countries and maritime crises. Maritime Policy and Management 22, σ. 51-62.