The STT department coordinates and carries out research, instructional and developmental projects in the department ever since its establishment. From 2007 until now a total number of 30 projects corresponding to at total budget of 3.321.916 euros were carried out. Indicatively, the Department has participated in a number of actions in the context of programs such as Jean Monnet, Τransportnet, eFreight, Rural-eGov, Go-Digital, Promethea κλπ.
The Department has established a number of Research Laboratories the goal of which is to promote research subjects related to Shipping, Transport and International Trade. The Laboratories in question are
- Laboratory of Shipping and Port Management (ReShip)
- Laboratory of Informatics and New Technologies in Shipping, Transport and Insular Development
- Laboratory of Geographic Information Systems, Geo-economy and Geopolitics
- Laboratory of Transport and Decision Making
- Laboratory of Applied Economics and Finances