After successfully completing this course, the students will be able to:
- Know the general concepts and indicators that are used for managing the natural and energy resources including the concept of carrying capacity, ecological footprint and sustainability
- To know the simple IPAT equation and its application on the quantification of the impacts of human activities on natural resources
- Understand the Malthusian theory of population growth and the reasons why it has failed
- Know the theory of the tragedy of the commons
- recognize elements of the tragedy of the commons in various current problems of natural resources and to propose solutions based on this theory
- know what is the circular economy (in contrast to the linear economy) and how it extends the classical sequence Reduce – Reuse – Recycle
- Understand the problem of climate change
- Understand the importance of renewable energy sources and know their exploitation technologies.
- Be able to search for reliable scientific sources in Greek or in a foreign language such as English in a subject of their choice, study the sources and write a small essay, fully documented with references to sources.